What a wonderful few days I have had. Our son-in-law, Duston, arranged for my daughter, Beth, to have a birthday like no other.

He arranged for me to fly down to Texas for her birthday. Hubby and I arrived at the Dayton airport early and the lone ticket agent printed out the boarding passes for us. We hung around the airport until it was time for boarding. I said goodbye to my hubby and headed for the gate.

The plane had a single row of seats on one side and a double row on the other. I was lucky and had the single seat. I could spread out a little. It was a nice flight except we had to take an extended tour of the Chicago airport before finally parking until there was a slot for us to take off for Houston.

Once we had arrived I tried to call Duston. You may have read that my phone hates me. It decided not to make phone calls, only text. I am lousy at texting and the phone knows it. Duston finally told me to go outside and he would find me there. It worked.

Sort of.

The step to get into his Jeep was at about the same height as my waist. As I was trying to figure out what to grab onto so I could pull myself in, Duston lifted me into the vehicle. I’ll let you pause here for a moment. Yes, he picked me up like I was a little kid and set me inside the car. I can’t remember the last time anybody picked me up.

It was close to midnight before we got home. He set things up so that he could film Beth’s reaction. He said she hadn’t been sleeping well and the doc has given her a new medicine to try.

He managed to wake her up and she eventually came out of the bedroom. When she saw me, she stopped cold. She looked at me and then at Duston and said, “Is this real?” Then she ran into my arms. Neither of us wanted to let the other go.

It felt so good to be able to hold her although I did think she should have gotten to sleep in. We finally let go. I was told I could have one of the beds upstairs. We finally got back to sleep.

The next morning was Sunday. We all got dressed and went to church. Most of the service was accompanied by the church band. The drummer was trapped behind several clear panels. I don’t know if he was in COVID-inspired isolation or if he had been given a timeout. It was interesting either way.

Brunch was at a Chinese restaurant. Youngest grandson, Nicholas, aka Nicky, filled his plate with sushi. Yeah, sushi for breakfast. I know it is popular but his choice surprised me. I prefer my food to be cooked.

As usual, we made bread. Granddaughter, Emma, finished her bread and went to fix supper.

Nicholas decided he needed more dough so he grabbed a glob of Emma’s. Then he needed more. By the time he was done her bread was the smallest. Jacob made his in the shape of some character I had never heard of. It was finally time for the bread to go into the oven.

As usual, the bread was good. Letting them play with the dough was as good as kneading.

In addition to making bread, Nicky made breakfast. OK, so it was almost noon before he got started. I am not bragging when I say that he made the best scrambled eggs ever. I should get him a personalized apron.

All too soon, it was time to go back to Indiana. The airport was empty when we arrived in Dayton. I walked out with one of the pilots and joined my hubby.

We stopped at Skyline for a late supper. It had been a great visit but it was good to be home. I can’t wait to see them all again.