A case of COVID-19 has been confirmed in Mercer County.

Mercer County Health District reported Tuesday evening that a Mercer County resident has tested positive for the disease caused by coronavirus.

Before Tuesday, there had been no confirmed cases in Mercer County.

Indiana’s total confirmed cases went up by more than 200 from the previous day, hitting 477 as of midnight Tuesday with 14 deaths.

There are confirmed cases in Adams, Wells and Delaware counties, and Darke County, Ohio, in addition to Mercer County.

There are currently no confirmed cases in Jay, Blackford or Randolph counties.

As of the most recent Ohio Department of Health update, there were 564 confirmed cases and eight deaths in Ohio. (Those numbers did not yet include the confirmed case in Mercer County.)

Health officials continue to indicate that the actual numbers are likely much higher because testing for COVID-19 is still limited.

Mercer County Health District will not release any personal information about the resident who tested positive. It is working to notify any close contacts who may have been exposed to the disease.

The district recommended that Mercer County residents take precautions that have been ordered or recommended by Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, including staying home except for work and necessary functions such as purchasing food or medicine, washing hands frequently, using hand sanitizer and practicing social distancing.

“MCHD continues to do everything we can to maintain a high level of preparedness,” the district said in a press release. “We are in constant communications with the Ohio Department of Health, regional, county and community partners. MCHD urges you to get your information from credible sources.”

Those who have questions regarding COVID-19 should call the health district’s call center from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays at (587) 890-2619.



Mercer Health on Tuesday erected a medical surge tent outside of the emergency department at Mercer County Community Hospital in Coldwater, Ohio. The move was in preparation for a potential surge in patients as part of the hospital’s overall plan to serve patients during the pandemic.

Jay School Corporation implemented bulk feeding for the first time today, with five breakfasts and five lunches delivered to students via rural bus routes. Delivery times were delayed from the planned start time of 11 a.m. to between 1 and 3 p.m. because of heavy fog this morning.

“Town kids” will be able to pick up meals from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Jay County High School, East Jay Middle School, Westlawn and Redkey Elementary Schools and the former Pennville Elementary School. Bulk feeding for those students will begin Friday, with five breakfasts and five lunches available for pick-up at the same times and locations.

John Jay Center for Learning announced Tuesday that it is closed to the public until April 7. Visitors to the building will be allowed by appointment only.

Jay County Development Corporation executive director Travis Richards shared Tuesday that Indiana Economic Development Corporation is partnering with gener8tor, a business start-up accelerator, to provide a series of webinars regarding resources for small businesses during the coronavirus pandemic. They will run March 30 through April 3.

Topics will include:

•Applying for Small Business Administration programs

•Civic, philanthropic and state resources

•Changes required by new government regulations

•Federal emergency relief programs

•Mental health and wellness resources

The organization will also hold one-on-one office hours with small business owners to provide assistance.

“It looks like they’re trying to cover the whole spectrum of issues that are caused by this (coronavirus pandemic),” said Richards. “Indiana’s not alone, but we are one of the first that is going to do this. … I personally have signed up because I want to at least hear what they have to say, and I would encourage anybody else who is interested to do so as well.”