Airport work that was supposed to resume April 1 and was then rescheduled to start May 1 is still not underway.

Jason Clearwaters of engineering firm Butler, Fairman and Seufert informed Portland Board of Aviation on Wednesday that HIS Constructors of Indianapolis has still not gotten started on the remaining work for the first phase of the Portland Municipal Airport runway extension project.

HIS was hired to handle the first phase of the runway extension to 5,500 feet from the current 4,000. That phase involved enclosing a ditch and leveling the land west of the current runway.

The work was originally expected to be complete last year. When it was not, HIS set a date of April 1 to resume the work with hopes to have it completed by the end of that month. That date was then moved to May 1.

Still, so far, there has been no progress.

Clearwaters said it is estimated that about 16,000 cubic yards of dirt are still needed to bring the land to the level necessary to extend the runway. He added that HIS has said it has thus far not been able to find a source for the dirt it needs to complete the project. (HIS got dirt from the Greg and Cindy Whitenack property 1338 W. 100 North during construction last year, but it is no longer available after the Whitenacks said the company did not meet the specifications of its agreement.)

The first phase of the project needs to be completed by June 6, Clearwaters said, in order to allow Milestone Contractors to move forward with the second phase — paving and lighting. (A pre-construction meeting with Milestone will be held this month.)

Aviation board member Clyde Bray asked about what options the board has if HIS does not have the work completed in time. Clearwaters noted that the contract includes $1,500 in damages per day after the contracted days expire. (Butler, Fairman and Seufert re-started the clock on workable days May 1.)

“At some point we will run out of days and then it will be your decision whether or not you want to push on liquidated damages,” Clearwaters said.

He added that if HIS can’t or won’t complete the work in that timeframe, efforts would be made to find another firm to handle the job.

“We will continue to talk to them the rest of this week,” said Clearwaters. “But we’ve got to have a plan and schedule, which we’ve been asking for for many months.”

The second phase of the project being handled by Milestone is expected to take 75 calendar days. Clearwaters noted that weather could become an issue, because marking the new pavement will require dry weather with temperatures of at least 45 degrees.

The entirety of the project is expected to be complete, with the extended runway open, by the end of the year.

Airport manager Hal Tavzel noted that Milestone Contractors will begin work on an unrelated driveway project at the airport next week.

Tavzel also brought a couple of requests to the board from AeroAg LLC, a new crop spraying company led by Wade Lewellen and Andy Landon.

The company asked about the possibility of adding parking next to the hangar where its plane is being stored and about a discount on fuel purchases.

Board members Faron Parr, John Ferguson and Bray, absent Mitch Sutton, agreed to hire Dalton’s Concrete Construction to add a 40-foot by 12-foot stone parking area adjacent to the hangar at a cost of $1,875.

It tabled the request for a fuel discount in order to research the issue more.

In other business, the board:

•Heard from Clearwaters that the board has not received a response yet on its Federal Aviation Administration grant application for a wildlife hazard assessment and wildlife hazard management plan as well as environmental assessment and design for the terminal apron expansion.

•Learned from Tavzel that various projects, including new concrete in a hangar, a new hangar roof and repairs to wiring for its weather station have been completed. A part is also on order for the weather station.

•Was updated that the airport is talking with American Legion Post 211 of Portland regarding taking over the pancake breakfast during the annual fly-in in August. Westchester United Methodist Church handled the event for years.

•Learned from Clearwaters that some additional information has been released on funding being made available to the airport through this year’s federal infrastructure bill but that no guidance on applying has been offered. (The airport is expected to get $110,000 annually over a five-year period.)

•Heard from Tavzel that the facility sold 5,293 gallons of fuel in April for $26,828.

•Received an update from Rick Owens regarding the plane he was asked to remove from its hangar because of lack of use. Owens said he has worked on the plane but has to send the propeller for repairs before he can sell it. He will update the board again next month.