A Portland woman has pleaded guilty to injuring her daughter.

Raven S. Myers, 25, pleaded guilty but mentally ill to battery resulting in serious bodily injury to a person 14 years old or younger, a Level 3 felony, in Jay Circuit Court Tuesday.

She was originally charged with a Level 1 felony for attempted murder after she allegedly slit her daughter’s wrists.

Myers appeared in court via video call just after 1 p.m. today. She told the court she has suffered from schizophrenia and psychosis and confirmed she is now taking medication. (She underwent a competency evaluation, which at first indicated she was not competent to stand trial but later her competency was restored. The test indicated she suffered from mental illness at the time of the incident.)

Jay County public defender Brandon Murphy noted Myers has experienced significant medical health conditions, specifically hallucinations or delusions. Pleading guilty but mentally ill, he explained, would ensure Myers has access to mental health treatment and more probation conditions.

“It really opens the door to some services for her that make a lot of sense,” he said.

The plea bargain, he said, seemed like a fair agreement between the defense and prosecution.

“I think it was a fair outcome, I would say, I think, given the severity of her mental conditions … I think it’s fair to say there was a real chance she could’ve been found not guilty by reason of insanity,” he said.

Jay County prosecutor Wes Schemenaur also said Myers could’ve been found not guilty by reason of insanity through trial. He pointed to the length of the sentence per the plea agreement, which suggests the judge give Myers a 14-year sentence with up to nine years executed.

“We came to this compromise,” explained Schemenaur. “I feel that it gave the state some control.”

In Indiana, the sentence for battery resulting in serious bodily injury to a person 14 years old or younger ranges between three and 16 years, with an advisory sentence of nine years. The maximum fine is $10,000.

Per her plea agreement, the charge for attempted murder — it carries a sentence of 20 to 40 years — was dismissed.

Her sentencing hearing is slated for 10:30 a.m. Oct. 19.

Police responded to a call about 8:41 p.m. Jan. 11 from Diane Camp saying Myers had taken her granddaughter from her home at 216 E. North St., according to a probable cause affidavit filed in connection with the case. Camp told police she and Myers had been at the residence together with Myers’ daughter when Camp fell asleep. Myers and the girl were gone when she woke up, and Myers didn’t take her phone with her.

Police started looking for Myers and the girl but could not locate them. About an hour and a half later, Camp called 911 to report Myers had returned to her house with her granddaughter and that the girl’s wrists had been cut.

Police found Myers in the living room holding her daughter.

“God told me to do it!” she repeated, according to the affidavit.

Summer Hudson, an individual connected to the case, told police that when Myers returned to the house, she saw Myers holding the girl in her car and had her wrapped in a blanket. Hudson said the child was screaming and that Myers looked at her and said, “I was going to kill her,” the affidavit says.

Myers took the girl to Camp, who later told police Myers said to her, “God told me to kill her,” and, “God told me to do it,” according to the affidavit.

The girl was rushed by police to IU Health Jay for treatment and later transferred to Riley Hospital for Children of Indianapolis.